Baked beans with poached eggs
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot (about 85g/3oz total/unprepared weight), peeled and finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 227g (8oz) can chopped tomatoes in rich natural juice
- 1½ tsp light brown soft sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce, or vegetarian alternative
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ x 400g (14oz) can haricot beans in water, drained and rinsed (about 115g/4oz drained weight)
- About 4 tbsp hot home-made or reduced-salt vegetable stock (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- Heat rapeseed oil in a non-stick saucepan. Add onion, carrot and celery; sauté over a medium heat for about 10 minutes or until softened. Carefully stir in vinegar; cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans; add stock if sauce is looking a little thick. Bring back to a simmer; cover and cook gently for a further 8–10 minutes, until sauce is cooked and beans are hot.
- Meanwhile, poach eggs in a separate pan of gently simmering water (or using an egg poacher) for a few minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from water using a slotted spoon or turn out of poaching cups to serve.
- Serve baked beans with poached eggs on top or alongside. Serve with fresh crusty bread or toast (omit this or use gluten-free bread for a gluten-free version).
Recipe reproduced with the kind permission of the British Heart Foundation. Find more heart healthy recipes at bhf.org.uk/recipefinder