Cheesy sweetcorn & butterbean quesadillas
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
• 1 tsp rapeseed oil
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 1 green pepper, finely chopped
• 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
• 100g frozen sweetcorn
• 1 tbsp tomato puree
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp mild chili powder
• 1 tin butter beans, drained and roughly mashed
• 40g reduced fat cheddar, grated
• 4 wholemeal tortillas.
• Keep the quesadillas warm in the oven covered in foil when making more than one – or use 2 pans
• You can use any mashed beans or even mashed peas, try adding some fresh coriander
• Ideal for sharing as a party food sliced into small wedges.
1. Add oil to a pan with the onion and cook for 3–4 minutes, now add the pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes
2. Add the tomatoes, sweetcorn, tomato puree, cumin, oregano and chilli powder, mix well, cook for 2 minutes until the corn is defrosted then remove from heat
3. Mix the onion and corn mixture with the mashed beans then spread evenly over 2 tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese then lay another tortilla on top and press together
4. Cook in a dry non-stick pan over a low heat (no need for oil) until the tortilla is turning brown and crisp
5. Turn the tortilla over with a fish slice and cook the other side (3–4 minutes each side)
6. Place on a board and slice to serve.