Chicken and spinach burritos
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 60g basmati rice
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chicken breast (approx. 125g), cut into strips
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1tsp mild chilli powder (hot if you prefer)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 150g frozen spinach, defrosted and water squeezed out
- 2 large plain tortillas
- 1 tbsp low-fat garlic and herb cream cheese
- salad, to serve
- Put the rice in a small saucepan with 75ml of boiling water, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Leave to stand with the lid on for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the oil to a saucepan, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken strips and chopped peppers. Stir for 4 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the garlic, chilli, cumin and oregano. Mix together for another minute. Stir in the spinach and the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Warm the tortillas in a dry frying pan or in the microwave for 30 seconds. Lay them out on a board and spread the centre of each tortilla with the cream cheese. Divide the chicken and rice mixture between them and roll up, tucking in the sides, to form a neat parcel. Roll the parcel up tightly in foil, twisting the ends so they are easy to hold. Serve with salad.
Recipe reproduced with the kind permission of the Diabetes UK. For more ways to enjoy food visit www.diabetes.org.uk/enjoyfood