Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
• 1 large sweet potato, peeled & cubed (250g)
• 1 tsp rapeseed oil
• 2 large onions, chopped (200g)
• 1 green pepper chopped (140g)
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
• 2 tbsp tomato puree
• 2 tsp paprika
• 1 tbsp jalfrezi curry paste
• 1-2 green chillies (more if you like it really hot!) quartered lengthways
• 2-3 (350g)boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
• 300g basmati rice.
• Add some spice to your rice by adding a teaspoon of turmeric and a piece of cinnamon stick along with the water to give colour and fragrance
• For fluffy rice, once it is cooked remove the lid and cover with a tea towel then leave for 5 minutes to let the steam escape. Fluff up with a fork
• Try using turkey steaks in place of chicken.
1. Boil the sweet potato for 8–10 minutes until just soft then drain and reserve
2. Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cook 3–4 minutes until light brown
3. Add the rice to a pan with a tight fitting lid, add 2 parts water to one part rice, bring to the boil, add lid, turn down heat and simmer for 12 minutes, turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Add the green pepper, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree, paprika, jalfrezi paste and chilli to the onion, mix well and cook until for 2 minutes
5. Add the chicken, cover & simmer for 8–10 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked
6. Stir in the potato, cook a further minute then serve.