Chicken nuggets with corn dip, chips and peas
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
• 1 tsp rapeseed oil
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 tbsp skimmed milk
• A good pinch of pepper
• 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
• 120g cornflakes
• 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (300g).
For the salsa
• 100g frozen sweetcorn defrosted
• 2-3 fresh tomatoes. (100g) finely chopped
• 1 tbsp tomato puree
• 1tsp mild curry paste.
• 320g frozen peas, boiled & drained
• 400g frozen oven chips.
• Use one hand when dipping and coating nuggets, it can get a bit messy otherwise
• Try adding a little spice to the cornflakes such as smoked paprika, curry powder or Chinese five spice.
1. Preheat oven to 220°C/gas 7
2. Spread the oven chips on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes then reduce the oven to 190°C/gas 5
3. Meanwhile place the cornflakes into a plastic bag and roughly crush them (children love doing this!)
4. Lightly oil a baking tray and place the beaten egg in a shallow bowl then beat together well with the milk. Put the flour onto a dinner plate and the crushed cornflakes onto another dinner plate
5. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces (approx. 22–24) and place onto the plate of flour then roll in the flour so that each piece is coated, separating the pieces so they’re not touching each other
6. Wash and dry your hands. Pick up a piece of chicken, shake off any excess flour, dip into the egg mixture and place on the cornflakes. Sprinkle more crushed flakes on top to fully cover the chicken and place on the baking tray. Repeat until all the nuggets are coated
7. Bake for 12–15 minutes until the outside is crispy and lightly browned
8. For the salsa: Mix all the ingredients together.