Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
• 1 heaped tsp oregano
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp ground cumin
• ½ tsp chilli flakes
• Good pinch white pepper
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• Grated zest and juice ½ lemon
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• ½ slice wholemeal bread, crumbled
• 250g 10% fat minced lamb
• 4 wholemeal pitta breads.
• 4 large servings salad (cucumber, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and
• Juice ½ lemon.
1. Add the oregano, cinnamon, cumin, chilli, pepper, garlic, lemon zest and juice to a bowl, along with the egg and crumbled bread. Mix well with a fork, breaking up the bread further
2. Mix in the lamb and set aside for
10 minutes. Mix again and shape into a loaf about 6cm in diameter and 13.5cm in length
3. Place on a baking sheet and cook in a preheated oven 190°C/gas 5 for 25–30 minutes
4. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then slice thinly, and stuff into pitta breads full of salad. Drizzle with lemon juice and serve.
Recipe reproduced with the kind permission of Diabetes UK