FAB Fish and Chips
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
• 2 large potatoes, cut into thick chips and parboiled for 5 minutes
• 2 tsp rapeseed oil +1 tsp for the fish
• 2 x 200g pieces white fish fillet of your choice, eg cod, haddock or halibut
• 2 heaped tsp plain flour
• 200g frozen peas
• 2 tsp tartar sauce
• 2 tsp low fat yogurt
• Lemon wedges and freshly ground black pepper, to serve.
• Dredging fish with flour before frying stops the surface of the fish from burning
• For extra flavour you can add seasoning to the flour – just salt and pepper, or spices such as Chinese five spice or smoked paprika
• Use fine chickpea flour for a gluten-free alternative.
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/gas 7
2. Toss the parboiled chips in 2 tsp oil and season with plenty of black pepper. Spread the chips out on a non-stick baking sheet and cook for 25-30 minutes until golden and tender
3. Meanwhile, put the fish fillets onto a plate and dredge with flour, making sure they are well coated
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add the remaining tsp of oil, wiping it around the pan with kitchen paper
5. Shake off any excess flour and carefully lay the fish fillets down in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side
6. Heat the peas in a small pan of boiling water, drain then roughly mash. Mix the tartar sauce and yogurt together.
7. Serve fish, chips, peas and tartar sauce with a sprinkle of black pepper, a wedge of lemon and a salad garnish.
Recipe reproduced with the kind permission of Diabetes UK