Garlic and caramelised onion toast
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
• 2 tsp rapeseed oil
• 3 medium onions, finely sliced (180g)
• 3–4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 15g parsley, finely chopped
• Good pinch pepper
• 4 thick slices of crusty wholemeal bread (50g per slice)
• 50g light cream cheese.
• Can be made in advance and then grilled when needed
• For a dairy free version spread 50g hummus in place of cream cheese
• Try using different herbs such as coriander or basil.
1. Put the oil into a small saucepan over a low heat, add the onions and gently cook for 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until they begin to caramelise, turn brown and become soft. If they start to stick, add a teaspoon of water
2. Add the garlic, chopped parsley and pepper, cook a further 2 minutes and set aside
3. Lightly toast the slices of bread on both sides
4. Spread each slice with a little cream cheese then top with the onion and garlic mixture
5. Pop under the grill for a minute or two until piping hot, before serving.