Herby stuffed aubergines
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
- 100g bulgar wheat
- 2 medium aubergines, halved lengthways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 25g seedless raisins
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp Parmesan shavings
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6. Add the bulgur wheat to a large bowl, pour over 600ml boiling water and leave to soak for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Place the aubergine halves, skin-side down, on a baking tray, and brush the cut surface with half the olive oil. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven, scoop out the flesh and roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, drain off any excess liquid from the bulgur wheat. In a pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the onion and garlic for 2–3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the ground cumin and coriander and continue to fry for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the soaked bulgur wheat and the aubergine flesh, but not the Parmesan.
- Heat through then divide the mixture between the aubergine shells. Return to the oven and cook for 10–15 minutes until the topping is golden. Sprinkle with Parmesan shavings to serve.
Recipe reproduced with the kind permission of the Diabetes UK. For more ways to enjoy food visit www.diabetes.org.uk/enjoyfood