Linguine with leeks and mushrooms
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 250g (9oz) leeks (trimmed weight), washed and sliced (approx 3 medium leeks)
- 140g (5oz) button mushrooms, sliced or halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 20g (3/4oz) sunflower spread
- 20g (3/4oz) plain flour
- 250ml (9fl oz) semi skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives (plus extra to garnish)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g (7oz) fresh linguine
- Steam leeks and mushrooms with bay leaf in a colander or steamer over a pan of boiling water for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf; drain vegetables well and keep warm.
- Melt sunflower spread in a non-stick saucepan, add flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring. Remove pan from heat; gradually whisk in milk. Return to the heat; bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer for 2 minutes, stirring. Add steamed vegetables, chives and black pepper and heat.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to packet instructions until ‘al dente’ or firm to the bite. Drain pasta; return to pan. Add leek and mushroom sauce; toss lightly to mix. Serve, garnished with additional chives.
Recipe reproduced with the kind permission of the British Heart Foundation. Find more heart healthy recipes at bhf.org.uk/recipefinder