Pasta with sardines and tomato sauce
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 1 tsp pure vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (100g)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 leek (160g)
- 1 red pepper (160g)
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- Good pinch chili flakes
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 80g frozen peas, defrosted
- 250g wholewheat spaghetti /pasta.
Healthy boost ingredients
- 2 x 120g tins sardines or pilchards in tomato sauce.
- Add oil to a pan, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes until it starts to brown then add the garlic and cook a further 1– 2 minutes
- Add the leeks, pepper, oregano and chilli, stir, then add the tomatoes, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes then stir in the peas
- Now set aside 2–3 sardines to serve and add the remaining sardines in their sauce to the tomatoes, then heat gently for 3–4 minutes until warmed through
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta and divide between 4 bowls. Top with the sauce and reserved sardines, flaked.