Southern style chicken
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
• 1 heaped tsp dried thyme
• 1 heaped tsp allspice
• 1 heaped tsp paprika
• 1 heaped tsp turmeric
• 1 heaped tsp oregano
• 1 tsp sage
• Good grind of black pepper
• 1 slice stale wholemeal bread, crumbled to create 30g fine breadcrumbs
• 1 egg, beaten
• 450g chicken thighs, skin removed
• 1 tbsp plain flour
• 1 tsp rapeseed oil.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Mix all the spices and herbs together with the breadcrumbs, making sure they are well combined
2. Beat the egg in a bowl and set aside.
3. Dredge the chicken with the flour, shaking off any excess and dip each chicken thigh into the beaten egg
4. Toss the chicken pieces in the spicy breadcrumb mixture ensuring each thigh is thoroughly coated
5. Lay the chicken on a lightly oiled baking sheet and sprinkle any leftover spice mixture on top
6. Roast for 10 minutes, turn the pieces over and roast for another 10 minutes. Check the chicken is cooked through and serve.
Recipe reproduced with the kind permission of Diabetes UK