Sweet and sour chicken
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 18 minutes (40 minutes with rice)
• 300g wholegrain (brown) rice
• 2 tsp sunflower oil
• 2 onions, cut into wedges (180g)
• 2 chicken breasts (350g) , sliced
• 2 carrots, finely diced (200g)
• 1 red pepper, cut into chunks (140g)
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2cm fresh ginger root, finely chopped
• Pinch chili flakes (optional)
• 1 tbsp tomato purée
• 1 low salt chicken stock cube in 300ml water
• 220g tin pineapple chunks in juice
• 2 tbsp cider vinegar or malt vinegar
• 2 heaped tsp cornflour dissolved in 1 tbsp water.
• Works well with other meat such as turkey, pork tenderloin or with prawns
• For a vegetarian version use a meat alternative or try using the sauce to coat slices of grilled tofu
• Brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice but it’s much healthier with more fibre and more vitamins and minerals.
1. Add the rice to a pan with a tight fitting lid, bring to the boil, turn down the heat to low and simmer gently for 35minutes, drain off any excess water return to saucepan and leave to stand for five minutes then fluff with a fork
2. Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, chicken and carrots and cook for 5 minutes stirring regularly.
3. Add the red pepper, garlic and ginger and stir 1 minute
4. Now add the chili flakes and tomato puree, stir then mix in the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat add a lid and simmer gently for 10 minutes
5. Add the pineapple chunks and juice along with the vinegar, mix well and bring to boiling point
6. Stir in the cornflour and simmer for 2 minutes stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened. Serve with the rice.